Housing Manager and Director
Jim Draughon has over 30 years of professional experience in real estate development and public-private development activities. His experience is equally distributed between private sector development, public sector community development, and private real estate consulting services to public agencies. Before joining RSG in 2006, Mr. Draughon served as the Program Manager for the Tustin Redevelopment Agency and Senior Negotiations Officer for the San Jose Redevelopment Agency, responsible for real estate development activities. He also served as the lead real estate asset development consultant to the County of Los Angeles from 1985 to 1996 where he was responsible for over 8.5 million square feet of public-private development under long-term ground leases, as well as development of the Walt Disney Concert Hall. His broad and diverse development experience enables him to use his technical expertise to identify creative solutions for achieving the development objectives of RSG's clients.
• Provides technical review and negotiations assistance for numerous affordable housing projects including 4% and 9% Low Income Housing Tax Credits projects located throughout California.
• Serves as project manager for a variety of real estate economics assignments, including development programming analyses and implementation of projects including negotiations of property acquisition and real estate development agreements to fulfill the real estate objectives of RSG's public agency clients.
• Manages the preparation of residential and commercial nexus studies and impact linkage fee analyses pursuant to updating or the formulation of inclusionary housing ordinances for various jurisdictions.
• Prepared an affordable housing monitoring manual and implemented annual compliance monitoring programs for several public housing agencies.
• Conducted annual audit reviews of project financial statements to ensure timely and accurate payments of receivables and compliance under applicable public agency loan and regulatory agreements.
• Performed property valuations, market assessments, and feasibility analyses for a large number of public agency real estate assets to identify reasonableness of economic returns.
Mr. Draughon enjoys the diverse assignments associated with RSG's public sector consulting services, particularly the challenges arising from the increasing complexities of the legal and financing constraints imposed on affordable housing development. He feels that the challenges are what spark the imagination, which lead to innovative solutions and keep the work immensely interesting and fulfilling.
BA, Environmental Design (Major), Public Administration (Minor), California State University, Fullerton, 1976
Graduate Studies, Landscape Architecture, California State Poly University, Pomona, 1979
Consulting: The RSG Way
Management and Supervision
Real Estate and Market Analysis
Development and Construction
Professional Memberships & Certifications
California Licensed Real Estate Broker
California Redevelopment Association
California Main Street Association