Jim Simon joined RSG in 1991 and has served as a Principal and shareholder since 2001. Mr. Simon's expertise lies in the areas of economic development strategies, local government fiscal and management studies, real estate pro forma and market analysis, and other community development strategies and implementation initiatives. As a Principal, Mr. Simon leads and oversees engagements, ensures product quality, and is the primary contact person on his assignments regardless of size
Mr. Simon has worked on more than ten economic development strategies, analyzed financial and market aspects of over $500 million in development in the last ten years, and aided in the incorporation or annexation of over a dozen communities. Mr. Simon's work includes a wide range of public and private sector clients, from private developers in Boise, Idaho, to the City of Los Angeles, to the small town of Holtville on the Mexico-California border. Mr. Simon's clients include local government agencies and for-profit developers. His assignments are geographically diverse in locations throughout Northern California and Nevada as well as Southern California.
• Performed economic impact analysis on the development in south Los Angeles of a Kaiser Permanente medical office project announced in May 2012.
• Negotiated and structured terms and conditions of a workforce housing development in Goleta which was recognized by the American Planning Association's Central Coast Chapter as a "Hard Won Victory."
• Collaborated with city staff in the preparation of Oroville's 2012 Business Assistance Program grant application by providing market analysis to support the application and program planning.
• Led the RSG team in an analysis of real estate market conditions and other assumptions employed by the Los Angeles County Assessor's office in their 2012-13 property value forecast.
• Provides ongoing economic development consulting services to the City of Westminster following completion of their Economic Development Strategy.
• Conceived and led long-term financial projections for City of Grand Terrace to help demonstrate to elected officials the challenges of structural deficits that lead to short term alterations of service levels.
Mr. Simon works to understand his clients' goals and needs, and adopts those as his own. To best serve his clients, he translates their goals into performance metrics to assure the highest quality work product. He uses the word "we" when referring to clients, and embeds in his assignments an understanding of what the client is ultimately trying to achieve and how the RSG team can add the most value to that end.
BA, Business Administration - Entrepreneurial Management Concentration, California State University, Fullerton, 1991
Consulting: The RSG Way
Management & Supervision
Real Estate & Market Analysis
Professional Memberships & Certifications
California Redevelopment Association
California Association of Local Agency Formation Commissions
California Association for Local Economic Development
Former Planning Commissioner, City of Laguna Niguel
Former Environmental Review Board Member, City of Laguna Niguel