Senior Associate and Project Manager
Matt McCleary has over 14 years of experience in community and economic development services in both the public and private sectors. Before joining RSG, Mr. McCleary worked as a land development and entitlement consultant, as well as a city manager and economic development director. Having successfully engaged in development activities from both the private and public sector perspectives, Mr. McCleary is skilled at managing a project from concept to completion. Besides development services, Mr. McCleary also manages a diverse portfolio of projects including real estate analysis, feasibility studies, implementation plans, community outreach, developer evaluation and selection, financial analyses, marketing and branding, and ongoing governmental staff services.
• Completed an Economic Impact Analysis as part of an application to qualify for the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Service Employment Based Immigration Fifth Preference Program (EB-5 Program). The analysis provided an estimate of the number of direct and indirect jobs that were expected to be generated as a result of the direct financial investment by the applicant.
• Retained by the Sonoma County Community Development Commission to assist with identifying and prioritizing projects that (1) would be consistent with the County Board's policies on development, (2) implement the Russian River Valley Strategic Plan, (3) eliminate remaining blight in the Project Area, and (4) address the needs and concerns of community stakeholders
• Analyzed the financial implications of the Joint First Responders Training Facility for the City of Carlsbad. Duties included verifying projected operations costs and identifying potential public and private agency users that could also utilize the facility.
• Working with cities across California to help analyze legislation and understand the fiscal impact the loss of redevelopment will have on local communities. Working with elected officials, executive leadership and staff to develop budgets and policies to create new economic development and job creation tools.
• Managed a team selected by the City of Twentynine Palms to spearhead the City's marketing and branding campaign. Activities included interviewing stakeholders, developing collateral and media pieces, and presenting final results to City Council.
Mr. McCleary enjoys working collaboratively with elected government officials and staff, the private sector, and community leaders and residents to achieve community and economic development goals. Long-term community development that has the greatest positive impact is not possible without all of these groups working in harmony together.
MA, Political Science, focus on Community and Economic Development, Illinois State University, 2004
BS, Business Administration, University of Northern Iowa, 1997
Consulting: The RSG Way
Management and Supervision
Real Estate and Market Analysis
Development and Construction
Professional Memberships & Certifications
California Redevelopment Association
California Community Economic Development Association
International City/Council Management Association
US Green Building Council - Orange County Chapter