Applications will remain open for submission on a continuous basis until needs are met. To apply, please submit your cover letter and resume to [email protected] with the job title as the subject line.
RSG is seeking a passionate, intelligent, and capable individual for an entry level opportunity with our consulting business. As described more fully below, the Research Assistant performs data collection and analysis on housing and economic development projects and provides opportunities for growth and advancement. Candidates who succeed at RSG align with our core values, are quick learners, and are motivated not only by their own professional growth, but the outcomes they can help deliver to our public agency and private sector clients.
In this role, the ideal candidate must be based out of one of RSG’s offices (either Irvine, East Bay, or North San Diego County). It is expected that the candidate live within commutable distance of an RSG office. The position is mostly work-from-home but requires some in-person office work. Equipment and stipends to support work-from-home capabilities will be provided by the company upon employment. Primary functions include collecting data, performing Excel spreadsheet analysis, and presenting error-free fact-based findings to senior staff and clients. Additionally, the Research Assistant will support public engagement activities including but not limited to surveys, interviews, and workshop support in communities of color in Southern California.
This position requires an individual who demonstrates attention to detail, extreme organization and time management, and the ability to form conclusive statements based on data. The ideal candidate will possess strong communication skills to conduct research and present findings to senior staff. Other desired skills include:
- Demonstrated interest in community development, public engagement, and complex issues facing local governments such as gentrification, homelessness, affordable housing, and economic development.
- An effective problem solver and self-starter capable of seeking out solutions and training to optimize their performance.
- Articulate communicator both written and verbal.
- Ability to juggle multiple projects.
- Possess creativity, innovation, and intellectual curiosity.
- Capable of working collaboratively in a dynamic, fast-paced environment with a team of driven and intelligent colleagues.
Research & Analysis
- Identify data collection sources and synthesize research related to various topics centered around RSG product lines
- Assemble, process, and analyze raw data to form conclusive statements by digging out facts
- Manage, organize, and interpret data for a non-technical audience
- Create and update Microsoft Excel spreadsheets using advanced formulas (e.g. v-lookups and pivot tables)
- Create graphical presentations in Microsoft Excel and PowerPoint
- Assist with housing compliance monitoring (requires travel by car to various Southern California counties, approximately one day per week). Organize and attend meetings related to research priorities.
- Proactively seek out project manager/peers to think through and problem solve technical issues
- Actively listen, inquire, and desire to seek constructive feedback on tasks
- Create presentations/reports to communicate research findings and information
- Develop relationships and collaborate with all levels of RSG staff on projects
- Manage workload and assignments by pulling and pushing activities around priorities
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree with major coursework in Business Administration, Policy & Planning, Economics, Finance, Public Administration, Real Estate, and/or related field
- Experience analyzing data and creating data visualizations
- Willingness to learn new concepts, research methods, software, and work routines
- Excellent computer skills and proficient knowledge of Microsoft Office 365 for Business (Outlook, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint)
- Familiarity with macOS preferred
- During current work-from-home period, high speed internet access at home is necessary for all employees; RSG offers a WFH stipend to accommodate internet and hardware requirements of the job.
- Applicants must have a car (mileage reimbursed at current federal rates), a valid California Driver’s license, and proof of car insurance
- Spanish language proficiency (written and verbal) is preferred
ABOUT THE FIRM
Based in Irvine, CA, RSG, Inc. is a consulting firm that primarily serves cities and other public agencies on community development projects and programs. Established in 1979, RSG works for over 90 California clients each year. Our main office in Irvine resides in a campus style office complex that features several amenities that help to blend work with wellness. The firm is managed by two Partners and 20+ other employees who work at home, in the office, and in the field. More information can be found at www.webrsg.com.
RSG is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Job Type: Full-time, exempt. Monday – Friday, 8:30 – 5:00.
Salary: $48,500 – $65,600, commensurate with pertinent experience, along with an excellent benefits package.